Friday, June 25, 2010

Thing 13: Social bookmarking

I was shown the old style ikeepbookmarks site a couple of years ago and I used it very sporadically, until recently when the quantity of sites I wanted to keep track of and return to became so large that I had to go back to it. I had heard of Delicious and I'd seen classmates on it so I was curious about it and whether it really would be better. The answer is definitely yes. The ability to assign several tags to a site means you are more likely to find it quickly the next time because you avoid have to work your way through the hierarchy of folders you used to have set up to organize all those sites. 

On Delicious.com, I explored the sites people had tagged with "library" and an interesting list of easily skimmed sites came up with everything from the mundane (Naked man arrested with stolen cheese in library!) to the unfamiliar (PEAR packages?) and including the ALA and libraries of all types. Here is one site from a retired librarian that I found when I input "library", "school", and "technology"--it provides links to sites of particular interest including technology to librarians arrange by broad topic.

Another social networking site I explored was Diigo, and I nearly subscribed to it also. It has similar tagging facilities as Delicious but it also allows you to capture and store page online as pdfs or html and you can highlight and add sticky notes onscreen and save that as well. Cool, huh? I may have to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment