Friday, June 25, 2010

Thing 14: Technorati and tags

I was unable to do most of the exploratory tasks for this assignment. I was able to search the blogs and posts for "School Library Learning 2.0" but I got no hits. I couldn't find a way to search tags although I did look at the list of popular tags and none of the terms were there.

Watching the video with the Technorati honchos talking, I kept hearing them say they wanted to serve "the masses" and even "the unwashed masses" (which is a very elitist term, isn't it?). So I got the impression their site was self-limited to pop culture and social media. After coming to this conclusion, I decided not to join or register my blog.

The contrast between Delicious founder, Joshua Schachter's and the Technorati slant on tags was interesting. Technorati's goal seems to be pulling worthy blogs out of the Internet swamp and Schachter's idea is individual users should be doing that. Both notions seem worthy to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment